Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Soul Shall Be Serene in the Blessing of the Mourn

Hour after hour,
through torment and searing pain,
God of Calvary, help me to endure,
That I might know, Oh Master,

your dignity in pain.
Oh, God,
If once again I walk into the dawn,
My soul shall be serene in the blessing of the mourn.
(1940s)

This poem was penciled onto a scrape of paper, probably in the 1940s. It is an elegant prayer reflecting, perhaps, a low point for mom and her turning to God for the strength to deal with life’s hour-to-hour, day-to-day struggle. Her life became increasingly stressful with each additional child and each new move. I can imagine her feeling overwhelmed at times were it not for her faith, which allowed her to face each day with strength, serenity and gratitude: “If once again I walk into the dawn/My soul shall be serene in the blessing of the mourn.”

No comments: