Saturday, October 21, 2006

Friendship


Oh, Friendship is a funny thing!
You never know “for sure.”
It keeps you always wondering!
This doubting, fearing, hoping

and worring to endure.
But still, my friends, I’ll never give up,
Though sleep awake I must.
I’ll listen til the wonderings stop,
Or till they turn to dust.
Pensive One
(1927)

This was written in November 1927 in mom’s college composition book while she was at Loretta Heights in Colorado. She signed it “Pensive One.” It reveals her understanding of the mixed feelings we often have about our friends and ourselves in friendship, our doubts and fears and anxious, sleepless nights. I can imagine she was struggling with meeting new people, students from around the country, for the first time, and like many college students struggling to determine how to establish intimacy and trust with people she was meeting in college. I like the last two lines, “I’ll listen till the wonderings stop, Or till they turn to dust.” This reveals her deep commitment to stay with others until she is satisfied she understands them or can no longer go any further with them. It is her sense of determination applied here to interpersonal relationships and gives a glimpse into her core value of long-term commitment to others.

No comments: